Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Mind of God

The story is told of St. Augustine that one day as he was walking along the seashore, his mind deep in thought, his reverie was interrupted by the sight of a little boy running to the water with a seashell in his hand. The little boy filled the shell with seawater, then poured it into a hole he had made in the sand. “What are you doing, my little man?” Augustine is purported to have asked. “Oh,” said the little boy, “I am trying to put the ocean in this hole.”
Augustine immediately “got it.” “That is what I am trying to do; I see it now. Standing on the sands of time, I am trying to get into this little finite mind, things which are infinite.”
--Leonard Sweet, Summoned to Lead

It is possible to get a sense of what God is up to. However, if you think you understand the mind of God, you had to shrink God seriously to get the Lord to fit your thoughts..."Now playing at a mind near you: 'Honey, I Shrunk God!' (sic)"

My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are my ways your ways, says the Lord. Isaiah 55:8

No comments: