Thursday, May 14, 2009

Sabbath Practice

The first level of being is to cease doing. Quite simply, we need to stop the work of the week.

The first thing people notice when they begin a Sabbath practice is how work and material desires crowd out other thoughts. What I say to them is, "Congratulations, you’ve reached the second level of Sabbath consciousness?"

The next level of being is blessing consciousness. We expand our sense of who we are and treasure our lives.

I experience the fourth level of consciousness; when I feel a sense of sacred stillness and release from all worry and anxiety. I’m subsumed in love and gratitude. I feel a sense of completeness, of all-encompassing holiness and joy. I call this the "flow of being" as it can only be matched by the creative flow of work at its best. There’s no way to make it happen. This level of consciousness only can be reached after experiencing the other three; after practicing being and accomplishing not-accomplishing.
--Rabbi Irwin Kula, Yearnings: Embracing the Sacred Messiness of Life

No comments: