Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Reflections on Church Leadership

As you can see from my bio I am a United Methodist pastor (retired). I spent 22 years in active service and another 10 hanging around doing good things. Before coming to UTS I spent 4 years co-teaching a series of 3-year leadership courses at Bethany UMC in Austin Texas. The program was developed by John Robertson (LeadershipID.com and PrepareGodsPeople.com) and also co-taught by our senior associate pastor, Rev. David Minnich. Because we are Methodists our program is Christian leadership grounded in the Wesleyan tradition. As a result of that work, in 2007 I was asked to head up the “leadership formation” portion of the work at The Pohly Center for Supervision and Leadership Formation which is part of The Center for Applied Theology which is part of United Theological Seminary in Dayton Ohio. (It’s not quite as impressive as it sounds.) After almost 30 years in Texas, this was an opportunity to return to my home town and the seminary from which I graduated in 1975.

I bring a varied background to my work in leadership. In this blog I will share my unique reflections on the subject including books I am reading and have found helpful and quotes from various authors. My particular focus is the vital connection between good leadership and spiritual maturity. My friend Alan Goldsberry, (ServantLeaderFramework.com) developed a simple XY graph to illustrate the relationship of these two factors.



I have suggested to pastors that they use this as a tool to begin the conversation with a member or staff person about personal growth. Simply ask the person where they see themselves on this graph and then ask them in what area they want to grow next.

Enough for now.

No comments: