Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Power of Intimacy with God

I hope you read and meditate on John 14:8-14; 17:18-23. These verses really capture a glimpse of the large view of the Christian life. We have the potential for developing an intimate relationship with God like the one Jesus had. In 17:21 Jesus prays for that very thing, “As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us.” It is out of this connection and unity with God, that real power for prayer and ministry come. If you are working hard at being a Christian, you are doing it wrong. Jesus didn’t work on his own either. Listen to his words in John 14:10, “The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own; but the Father who dwells in me does his works.”

Anyone can be a superficial Christian in their own strength. It is even possible to be a work-a-holic “super-Christian”, burning ourselves out in self-righteous glory, in our own strength. But to be a healthy, empowered Christian requires listening, slowing down, more listening, opening ourselves to a deeper relationship with God, still more listening, and allowing God to do God’s thing in and through us. It’s not as easy as it sounds since most of us want to be in control our own lives. This is important for all Christians, but crucial for leaders.

No comments: